Two local farmers are seen trashing oats inside a wooden farmhouse in Rhode Island. A wagon sits outside the farmhouse carrying the farmers' haul for the day, while many more piles of oats are stored inside the building.
The name Rhode Island was first mentioned in a letter dated July 8th, 1524 written by the explorer Giovanni de Verrazzano, who compared its islands to "the Island of Rhodes in the Aegean Sea." It wasn't until 1663 when King Charles II of England officially adopted the name “Colony of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.” Rhode Island was the first of the thirteen colonies to renounce its allegiance to the British crown. It is also the only state that still celebrates "Victory Day", the end of World War II, as a state holiday.
From the collection of Fred Bodin of Gloucester, MA. Fred was a long time resident and well-known photographer of Gloucester and had one of the best private collections of New England nautical photographs in private hands. Fred was a photojournalist having graduated with this degree from Syracuse University and worked for Yankee Magazine. Fred passed away in 2016 and HIP purchased his collection from his estate.